The tribalist Pat Buchanan lists the horrors of the first 100 days of Obama Presidency and Dem. Congress:
“…..Specifically, we can almost surely expect:
– Swift amnesty for 12 million to 20 million illegal aliens and a drive to make them citizens and register them, as in the Bill Clinton years. This will mean that Nevada, Colorado, New Mexico and Arizona will soon move out of reach for GOP presidential candidates, as has California.
– Border security will go on the backburner, and America will have a virtual open border with a Mexico of 110 million.
– Taxes will be raised on the top 5 percent of wage-earners, who now carry 60 percent of the U.S. income tax burden, and tens of millions of checks will be sent out to the 40 percent of wage-earners who pay no federal income tax. Like the man said, redistribute the wealth, spread it around.
– Social Security taxes will be raised on the most successful among us, and capital gains taxes will be raised from 15 percent to 20 percent. The Bush tax cuts will be repealed, and death taxes reimposed.
– Two or three more liberal activists of the Ruth Bader Ginsberg-John Paul Stevens stripe will be named to the Supreme Court. U.S. district and appellate courts will be stacked with “progressives.”
– Special protections for homosexuals will be written into all civil rights laws, and gays and lesbians in the military will be invited to come out of the closet. “Don’t ask, don’t tell” will be dead.
– The homosexual marriages that state judges have forced California, Massachusetts and Connecticut to recognize, an Obama Congress or Obama court will require all 50 states to recognize.
– A “Freedom of Choice Act” nullifying all state restrictions on abortions will be enacted. America will become the most pro-abortion nation on earth.
– Affirmative action — hiring and promotions based on race, sex and sexual orientation until specified quotas are reached — will be rigorously enforced throughout the U.S. government and private sector.
– Universal health insurance will be enacted, covering legal and illegal immigrants, providing another powerful magnet for the world to come to America, if necessary by breaching her borders.
– A federal bailout of states and municipalities to keep state and local governments spending up could come in December or early next year.
– The first trillion-dollar deficit will be run in the first year of an Obama presidency. It will be the first of many.
Welcome to Obamaland! …..”
——————————————————————————–As Norman Mailer once described himself, I’m a conservative leftist…liberal,progressive, with libertarian instincts lying just under the surface.
I would say only about half of Buchanan’s “horrors” will likely happen.I would like to see a higher rate for the top 5% wage earners.Ditto having a Social Sec. tax paid by all wage earners, rather than the flat SS cap existing now.The “Freedom of Choice Act” will not happen. Abortions should not be a candy store-like option. They should be rare, safe, and legal.Even Obama’s health care plan would not be universal, except perhaps for children. See today’s NYT editorial on the McCain and Obama health plans, and why Obama’s is better.A revenue sharing stimulus to the states makes sense…with conditions like Medicaid savings.There would be, and should be, a more congenial environment for gays and lesbians, and there is nothing wrong with that.http://www.cannonruminations.blogspot.com/
Comment by gecannonphd — October 28, 2008 @ 10:25 am